Suggested Tools for Preparation
• Wax and Grease Remover
• Clean "Lint-Free" cloths
• Wet/Dry Sand paper - 400, 1000-2500 grits
• Grey Scotch Pad
• Sanding Block (preferably a flexible pad)
Your paintable BumperShellz™ are made by vacuum forming an extruded High-Impact ABS plastic sheet to the shape of your specific bumper. Since the paintable sheet is “unfinished” and vacuum forming uses a single sided tool, which is open to the manufacturing plant environment during the forming process, there is a chance some very minor imperfections may be present on the unfinished surface. Most body/paint shops are experienced with painting ABS plastics. These instructions are for general information if you will be painting your BumperShellz™ yourself. If hiring a body/paint shop to do the work, they should follow their own best practices for painting ABS and are responsible for their work.
- If there are any imperfections/scratches on the surface of the BumperShellz™ to be painted, lightly sand them out with 400 grit sandpaper to achieve the desired smoothness.
- Use a grey scotch pad to prepare for primer.
- Use a panel wipe or similar to clean the surface.
*these are suggestions, and we cannot guarantee results
- Use a plastic adhesion promoter and 2K high build primer for the best paint adhesion.
- Typically apply 2-3 layers of base color followed by a wet color sanding with 1000-2500 grit sandpaper.
- Clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol.
- Apply 2 layers of clear coat.
- Wet color sand again with 1500-2500 grit sandpaper.
- Polish with an appropriate buffing compound to achieve a smooth/glossy finish.